United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant (Guest House)
Job No: 546163
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Categories: Operations and Business Management
Tasks / Responsibilities
- Operate the UNICEF guest house to the agreed organization standards.
- Manage rooms on lease for longer terms and ensure tenants are accommodated satisfactorily
- Manage room reservations in UNICEF guest houses or elsewhere in UNDSS approved accommodations for staff coming on mission to Maiduguri.
- Manage and participate in the check-in and check-out process, ensuring that it is swift, efficient and pleasant
- Oversee guest departure process, ensuring accounts are properly charged, correct statements are provided and ensuring guest satisfaction while encouraging future business
- Ensure that financial transactions are properly recorded and manage guest house services budgets
- Keep track of inventory and ordering of supplies related to guest services
- Ensure that contractors and services providers in charge of providing services at the guest houses, are performing satisfactorily as expected. Manage all service contracts related to guest houses.
- Ensure that the bedrooms are set up and ready for check in as per the agreed and advertised times. To ensure all guest house bedrooms, common areas and storerooms are cleaned by the service provider agents within the agreed time guidelines.
- Ensure the reception, kitchen and beverage outlets, common areas, stores, back office and staff areas are maintained in a clean and tidy condition.
- Ensure that all equipment, materials and lightning are correctly working in the whole guest house. Ensure maintenance and repairs are timely and satisfactorily carried out.
- Deal with any guest queries/complaints in a polite and friendly manner ensuring guest satisfaction and all complaints, comments, special requests and other business are to be recorded in the daily handover log.
- Ensure that all guest lost properties are correctly reported/logged.
- Ensure daily maintenance checks are carried out in all bedrooms and common areas, relaying any issues to persons responsible.
- Ensure clear communications with other admin units and other UNICEF sections to ensure minimal impact on guest service.
- Operate where applicable the restaurant/kitchen to the agreed guest house standards.
- Ensure that all monies are kept in a safe and secure area adopting the guest house cash handling procedures.
- Balance all financials at the end of the day.
- Continuously seek to endeavor to improve the guest house efficient operations, and knowledge of own job function.
- Attend office meetings as required.
- Provide an efficient and friendly service to guests at all times, accepting flexible work schedule as may be necessary for uninterrupted service to guests.
- Wear presentable full uniform and duty badge when on duty
- Ensure a high standard of personal hygiene and grooming.
- Ensure fire safety in the guests house at all times by adhering to all house’ fire procedures.
- Report on activities and Tracking and reviewing key data including occupancy statistics, room inventory, and rate plans
- Perform back-up for travel administration functions as well as other regular administrative functions
- Comply with the organization policies in all aspects including the security procedures.
- Carry out any other ad hoc duties as directed by the supervisor and or all designated management.
How Can You Make a Difference?
- Under the supervision of the Operations Officer, the incumbent will ensure that guests are adequately accommodated; guest houses are functioning in line with the organizations’ requirements and oversee all service providers in charge of cleaning, cooking, laundry, security etc.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- Completion of Secondary Education is required. A University Degree in a relevant field is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the administration and management of guest house with national or international humanitarian organization is required.
- Managerial qualities, along with good organizational and initiative taking skills.
- Good professional communication skills, including ability to provide outstanding customer services and maintain positive employee relations.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, stressful work environment.
- Ability to use word processing and spreadsheet software.
For Every Child, You Demonstrate
- UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA)
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are:
- Builds and maintains partnerships (I)
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness (I)
- Drive to achieve results (I)
- Innovates and embraces change (I)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (I)
- Thinks and acts strategically (I)
- Works collaboratively with others (I)
Application Closing Date
25th November, 2021; W. Central Africa Standard Time.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles.
- All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history.
- Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check